You can be tested by a doctor.
You can freely talk to the doctor. He or she has all of the information needed to help you. A doctor cannot give any information about you to anybody else. He/she is obliged by law to respect your privacy.
How is an STI test done?
An STI test is done as follows:
- The doctor checks with you what kind of sex you had and will ask about any symptoms.
- The doctor examines your sexual organs, mouth and anus to check for symptoms.
- The doctor often takes a blood sample or asks for a urine sample. The doctor can also take a swab from the places which may be infected (mouth/throat, anus, vagina, urethra).
- The doctor sends the samples to a lab for testing.
- The doctor receives the result of the lab test about 1 week later.
- The doctor explains the result to you and talks with you about the next steps. If necessary, he/she will give you medicines to treat the STI. Most STIs can be cured or their symptoms can be treated.
What does an STI test cost?
You have to pay a personal contribution for the visit to the doctor. You also pay part of the lab costs. The exact price depends on how many STI tests are done.
The doctor receives the result of the test, but the invoice is sent to you. The invoice only states that your blood and/or urine was tested, but does not say why. Talk to your doctor if you do not want the invoice sent to your home.