Gender staat zowel voor iemands genderidentiteit als voor zijn/haar gender roles.
- Gender identity means whether a person feels like a woman or a man. It is possible for a person to be born a girl but feel like a boy. A person can also feel that he/she is neither a woman nor a man, or can feel like both.
- Gender roles are society’s expectations about the way a man or a woman should behave.
When a person’s gender or sex becomes a motive for violence by others, it can be recognized as an aggravating circumstance and result in a more serious punishment.
- discrimination because you are a woman or a man (biological sex). Men and women have equal rights according to the law;
- discrimination based on sexual orientation;
- discrimination based on gender identity and expression.
For example: it is also forbidden to discriminate against a man because he dresses as a woman or to discriminate against a woman because she wants to do a typical man’s job.