Vaginal infections

A vaginal infection is an infection of the vagina and has similar symptoms to an STI. It is not an STI. You often do not get the infection from sex.

The infection is caused by a fungus (candida) or by bacteria (bacterial vaginosis).

You can prevent most vaginal infections if you take good care of your vagina. Antibiotics and stress can also cause vaginal infections. Only take antibiotics when necessary.

You may have a vaginal infection if you have one or more of the following symptoms:

If you think you have a vaginal infection, talk to a doctor. A vaginal infection can be treated easily. The doctor will give you a prescription for a medicine or cream.

Ask a doctor for advice if your partner needs to be tested and treated as well.

Woman talking with a doctor.

Vaginale infecties

Een vaginale infectie is een infectie van de vagina met symptomen die lijken op die van een soa. Het is geen soa. U krijgt de infectie vaak niet via seks.

De infectie wordt veroorzaakt door een schimmel (candida) of door bacteriën (bacteriële vaginose).

De meeste vaginale infecties kunnen worden voorkomen door goede hygiëne van de vaginaAntibiotica en stress kunnen ook vaginale infecties veroorzaken. Neem alleen antibiotica wanneer het noodzakelijk is.

U zou een vaginale infectie kunnen hebben als u een of meer van de volgende symptomen heeft:

Als u denkt dat u een vaginale infectie heeft, praat erover met een dokter. Een vaginale infectie kan gemakkelijk worden behandeld. De dokter bezorgt u een voorschrift voor een medicijn of een crème.

Vraag aan de dokter of uw partner ook moet worden getest en behandeld.

Vrouw praat met een dokter.

More information or help needed?

Family doctor
You can talk to a family doctor about almost every intimate issue. If necessary the family doctor can refer you to a specialised health professional. Find a family doctor in your neighbourhood:
Community health centre (wijkgezondheidscentrum)
You can visit a family doctor in a community health centre. Other care professionals such as nurses and social workers also work at community health centres. Care is provided free of charge. Find a community health centre in your neighbourhood:
CAW - Centrum Algemeen Welzijn
Centre for general well-being - Help with all kinds of issues: a difficult relationship, medical, financial, administrative, legal or material problems, family problems,... CAWs also provide assistance to victims of violence and abuse. Find a CAW in your neighbourhood: