A divorce is the legal ending of a marriage. If you are legally divorced, you can then marry someone else.

If you have relationship problems, you can try to talk with your partner or someone you can trust. You can also seek professional help. It takes time to solve a relationship problem. If you cannot solve the problems, you can consider divorce or separation.

Divorce can be a very difficult and emotional period in a person’s life. People may feel loss, pain, anxiety or anger. You can ask for professional help to get through it. For some couples, however, a divorce can be a relief after a difficult period together.

A man and a woman are at the notary’s office to have a divorce agreement drawn up.


Een scheiding is het wettelijk beëindigen van een huwelijk. Als u wettelijk gescheiden bent, kunt u iemand anders huwen.

Als u relatieproblemen heeft, kunt u proberen te praten met uw partner of iemand die u vertrouwt. U kunt ook professionele hulp zoeken. Het kan een tijd duren om een relatieprobleem aan te pakken. Als het niet lukt om de problemen op te lossen, kunt u overwegen om te scheiden of uit elkaar te gaan.

Een scheiding kan een erg moeilijke en emotionele periode zijn in iemands leven, met gevoelens als verdriet, pijn, angst of woede. U kunt tijdens deze periode professionele hulp zoeken. Voor sommige koppels kan een scheiding echter ook een opluchting zijn na een moeilijke periode samen.

Een man en een vrouw zijn bij de notaris om de echtscheidingsdocumenten op te stellen.

More information or help needed?

CAW - Centrum Algemeen Welzijn
Centre for general well-being - Help with all kinds of issues: a difficult relationship, medical, financial, administrative, legal or material problems, family problems,... CAWs also provide assistance to victims of violence and abuse. Find a CAW in your neighbourhood:
Family doctor
You can talk to a family doctor about almost every intimate issue. If necessary the family doctor can refer you to a specialised health professional. Find a family doctor in your neighbourhood:
Community health centre (wijkgezondheidscentrum)
You can visit a family doctor in a community health centre. Other care professionals such as nurses and social workers also work at community health centres. Care is provided free of charge. Find a community health centre in your neighbourhood: