A marriage is the official union between 2 partners. For a marriage to be legal, a marriage must meet certain conditions.

Some people marry out of love, others marry out of practical reasons such as financial benefits, power, status or children. The marriage can be arranged, or take place because both partners choose to marry.

Marriage involves a commitment from both partners.

People can also end a marriage. This is called divorce.

A man and a woman getting married in a town hall

Arranged marriage

In an arranged marriage, the parents or other family members choose the person their children or younger relatives will marry. Both men and women can be married off.

The youngsters can often decide if they want to get married or not, but this is not always the case. According to the law in Europe, you cannot be married off to someone you do not want to marry. Forced marriage is forbidden by law. Everyone has the right to choose a partner. If you do not want to marry the partner who has been chosen for you, talk about it to someone you can trust, or ask for professional help.

Mixed marriage and marriage migration

A mixed marriage is a marriage between 2 people with a different cultural, ethnic or religious background.

Marriage migration means that one of the partners moves to the country where the other partner is living.

Same-sex marriage

In various European countries, people in a homosexual relationship (same sex) can also marry or enter into a legally registered partnership.

2 men getting married in a town hall

Living together

You can also live together without marriage. When you enter a legally registered partnership, you sign a contract in the town hall. You can also sign a standard contract or have a personal contract prepared by a notary. The rights and obligations are different to those of a marriage contract.

You can live together without marriage.

Een huwelijk is een officiële verbintenis tussen 2 partners. Om wettelijk te zijn, moet een huwelijk aan bepaalde voorwaarden voldoen.

Sommige mensen huwen uit liefde, andere om praktische of materiële redenen, zoals financieel voordeel, macht, status, kinderen. Een huwelijk kan gearrangeerd zijn of de keuze van beide partners zijn.

Een huwelijk vraagt een engagement van beide partners.

Mensen kunnen hun huwelijk ook beëindigen. Dit heet scheiden.

Een man en een vrouw huwen in een stadhuis

Gearrangeerd huwelijk

In een gearrangeerd huwelijk kiezen de ouders of andere familieleden de persoon met wie hun kinderen of jongere familieleden zullen huwen. Zowel mannen als vrouwen kunnen worden uitgehuwelijkt.

De jongeren kunnen vaak zelf kiezen of ze al dan niet willen huwen, maar dit is niet altijd het geval. In Europa kunt u volgens de wet niet worden uitgehuwelijkt aan iemand met wie u niet wilt huwen. Een gedwongen huwelijk is strafbaar. Iedereen heeft het recht om een partner te kiezen. Als u niet wilt huwen met de partner die voor u werd gekozen, praat hier dan over met iemand die u kunt vertrouwen of zoek professionele hulp.

Gemengd huwelijk en huwelijksmigratie

Een gemengd huwelijk is een huwelijk tussen 2 mensen met een andere culturele, etnische of religieuze achtergrond.

Huwelijksmigratie betekent dat een van beide partners verhuist naar het land waar de andere partner woont.

Huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht

In verschillende Europese landen kunnen mensen met een homoseksuele relatie (zelfde geslacht) ook huwen of wettelijk samenwonend zijn.

2 mannen huwen in een stadhuis


U kunt ook samenwonen zonder te huwen. Bij wettelijk samenwonen wordt een contract getekend in het stadhuis. U kunt ook een standaard contract tekenen of een persoonlijk contract laten opstellen bij de notaris. De rechten en plichten zijn anders dan die van een huwelijkscontract.

U kunt samenwonen zonder te huwen.

More information or help needed?

CAW - Centrum Algemeen Welzijn
Centre for general well-being - Help with all kinds of issues: a difficult relationship, medical, financial, administrative, legal or material problems, family problems,... CAWs also provide assistance to victims of violence and abuse. Find a CAW in your neighbourhood:
Information on marriage migration, mixed marriages and relationships, and gender
02 220 38 95
Réseau Mariage et Migration
Telephone number for questions regarding forced marriage
0800 90 901
Organisation for people with a migrant background who feel attracted to people of the same sex and/or have questions about their sexual orientation or gender identity.
0487 55 69 38 (MerhabaPhone)
Family doctor
You can talk to a family doctor about almost every intimate issue. If necessary the family doctor can refer you to a specialised health professional. Find a family doctor in your neighbourhood:
Community health centre (wijkgezondheidscentrum)
You can visit a family doctor in a community health centre. Other care professionals such as nurses and social workers also work at community health centres. Care is provided free of charge. Find a community health centre in your neighbourhood:
More health professionals

Dictionary and translations