Belgian law

In Belgium, couples can divorce when both partners give their mutual consent or due to “irreconcilable differences”.

In the case of mutual consent, the spouses do not need to give a reason for the divorce.

In the case of divorce because of “irreconcilable differences”, one or both spouses need to prove that it is impossible for them to remain married.

A man and a woman are at the notary’s office to have a divorce agreement drawn up.

When does the law of another country apply?

In some cases, the Belgian judge applies the law of a foreign country rather than Belgian law. This can be the law of one of the countries of which one of the partners (or both) is a national or the country where the couple used to live.

Spouses can decide together which law will be followed. Unless certain restrictions apply, the judge will follow that law. When the spouses do not agree, the judge will apply specific rules to decide whether Belgian law or the law of another country should be followed.

This legislation is quite complicated and there are several conditions. You can call the helpdesk of Kruispunt Migratie Integratie & Inburgering for more information.

A divorce decree pronounced in a foreign country can be recognized by the Belgian authorities. There are, however, a number of restrictions and conditions. Different rules apply in different situations

Repudiation means that one partner (the male spouse) ends the marriage alone. The other partner (the female spouse) does not have equal rights. In this case, a divorce decree will not be recognized in Belgium. There are, however, exceptions based on a number of conditions.

You can contact the helpdesk of Kruispunt Migratie Integratie or a lawyer for more information.

Belgische wet

In België kunnen koppels scheiden met wederzijdse toestemming van beide partners of wegens 'onverzoenbare verschillen'.

In het geval van wederzijdse toestemming moeten de echtgenoten geen reden opgeven voor de scheiding.

In het geval van een scheiding wegens 'onverzoenbare verschillen' moet een van de echtgenoten (of moeten beide echtgenoten) bewijzen dat het niet mogelijk is om gehuwd te blijven.

Een man en een vrouw zijn bij de notaris om de echtscheidingsdocumenten op te stellen.

Wanneer is de wet van een ander land van toepassing?

In sommige gevallen past de Belgische rechter de wet van een ander land toe in plaats van de Belgische wet. Dit kan de wet zijn van een van de landen waarvan een van de partners (of beide) een burger is of van het land waar het koppel eerder woonde.

Echtgenoten kunnen samen beslissen welke wet toegepast zal worden. Tenzij er bepaalde beperkingen gelden, zal de rechter die wet volgen. Wanneer de echtgenoten het niet eens zijn, zal de rechter specifieke regels toepassen om te besluiten of de Belgische wet of de wet van een ander land gevolgd moet worden.

Deze wet is redelijk complex en er gelden verschillende voorwaarden. U kunt contact opnemen met de Helpdesk van het Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering voor meer informatie.

Een echtscheidingsuitspraak uit een ander land kan erkend worden door de Belgisch overheid. Er gelden echter een aantal beperkingen en voorwaarden. In verschillende situaties zijn verschillende regels van toepassing.

Verstoting betekent dat een partner (de man) eenzijdig een einde maakt aan het huwelijk, zonder dat de andere partner (zijn vrouw) gelijke rechten heeft. In dat geval wordt de echtscheidingsuitspraak niet erkend in België. Er zijn echter uitzonderingen die gebaseerd zijn op een aantal voorwaarden.

U kunt contact opnemen met de Helpdesk van het Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering of met een advocaat voor meer informatie.

More information or help needed?

Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering - Legal Service for Immigration Law
Information on law regarding residence status, family reunification, asylum and access to health care. Find a team in your neighbourhood:
02 205 00 55 (legal helpdesk)
CAW - Centrum Algemeen Welzijn
Centre for general well-being - Help with all kinds of issues: a difficult relationship, medical, financial, administrative, legal or material problems, family problems,... CAWs also provide assistance to victims of violence and abuse. Find a CAW in your neighbourhood:
More health professionals

Dictionary and translations