How to put on a female condom
Put on a female condom before penetration. Do it in the following way:
- Check that the expiry date has not yet passed. Only use condoms with the CE quality label on the wrapping.
- Put a lubricant on the inside and outside of the condom.
- Squeeze the inner ring.
- Put the condom up inside the vagina.
- Put 1 finger inside the condom and push the ring up as far as possible. Be careful that the condom does not move and that the penis is always inside the condom during penetration.
- The outer ring keeps the condom in place when having sexual intercourse. It stays outside the body and covers the area around the vagina.
- After sex, take the outer ring and twist it a bit while you pull out the condom. Pay attention that semen does not enter the vagina.
- Throw the used condom in a bin.
Only use the condom once.
Less reliable when used incorrectly
When a female condom is used correctly, it is a very reliable method of contraception. However, the female condom is often not used in the way explained above. In this case, the condom is less reliable. Around 21 in 100 women become pregnant when they use the female condom for 1 year during sexual intercourse.
Protection against HIV and STIs
The female condom and the condom for men are the only methods of contraception that can protect you against these.