In Belgium, it is permitted under certain conditions to watch, buy or produce pornography. However, there is severe punishment for watching, possessing, producing or distributing images of child abuse (child pornography).
What is legal?
It is legal to:
- privately watch legal pornography;
- to pay for legal pornography;
- to produce pornography, as long as it is legal pornography and the adult participants agree.
What is illegal?
It is illegal to:
- produce pornography without the consent of the adult participants;
- to distribute pornography without the consent of the participants, even if they gave consent for the images/video to be taken;
- to distribute images/videos of punishable sexual acts, such as rape or sex with animals;
- to take or distribute images/videos of the sexual abuse of minors (child pornography; pornography involving people younger than 18 years of age);
- to buy, download or watch images/videos of sexual abuse (child pornography).
- Prison sentences of a minimum of 1 to 5 years for viewing and downloading images/videos of the sexual abuse of minors.
- Producing, distributing or selling images/videos of the sexual abuse of minors are punishable by 5 to 10 years’ imprisonment.