Who can marry in Belgium?

You can get married in Belgium when either you or your partner:

  • has Belgian nationality;
  • has legal residence in Belgium;
  • has had his/her usual place of residence in Belgium for more than 3 months. You have to prove that you have been living in Belgium, even if you do not have legal residence status.
A man and a woman are getting married in a town hall.

Other conditions for marrying in Belgium

  • Both partners have to be unmarried or divorced (when a marriage has legally ended).
  • The partners cannot be close relatives (for example: brothers and sisters cannot marry).
  • Both partners must be 18 or older. It is possible to marry from the age of 16 onwards if the parents and the court agree to it.

If you do not have Belgian nationality, most often the law of your home country applies. For example: an Afghan woman of 16 can marry in Belgium without court agreement.
Same-sex marriage (between 2 men or 2 women) is an exception to this rule.

Same-sex marriage

Same-sex marriage has been legal in Belgium since 2003.

If one of the partners has the nationality of a country that recognizes same-sex marriage, the law of that country applies. In this case, the law of the country of the other person does not apply. For example: a man from Uganda, where same-sex marriage is forbidden by law, can marry a Belgian man or a man from another country that recognizes same-sex marriage. Ugandan law does not apply in this case.

If you want more information about same-sex marriage, contact the Legal Helpdesk of the Integration and Naturalisation Agency or a lawyer. You can contact Holebifoon to find a lawyer who has experience in these matters.

2 men getting married in a town hall

Free choice

In Belgium, everyone is free to decide who he/she wants to marry. Forced marriage is forbidden by law.

A person who forces somebody else to marry against his/her will can be punished with a prison sentence of up to 2 years. Even if the marriage does not actually take place, the coercion can still be punished. The coercion can be physical or psychological (threats or emotional pressure).

An arranged marriage is when parents or other family members choose a partner for their child. When both spouses-to-be fully agree to the marriage, this is a legal marriage.

Registered partnership

Another legal form in which partners can be together is a registered partnership (wettelijk samenwonen). This gives some legal protection, but is not equal to marriage. It sets out the rights and duties of the partners towards the shared family home and other possessions. It is easier to end a registered partnership than a marriage.

For more information on registered partnership, you can contact the Legal Helpdesk of Kruispunt Migratie Integratie or a lawyer.

Wie kan huwen in België?

U kunt huwen in België wanneer een van beide partners:

  • de Belgische nationaliteit heeft;
  • wettig in België verblijft;
  • zijn/haar gebruikelijke woonplaats al langer dan 3 maanden in België is. U moet bewijzen dat u in België woont, zelfs als u geen verblijfsvergunning heeft.
Een man en een vrouw huwen in een stadhuis.

Andere voorwaarden om te huwen in België

  • Beide partners moeten ongehuwd of gescheiden zijn (wanneer een huwelijk wettelijk beëindigd werd).
  • De partners mogen geen naaste verwanten zijn (broers en zussen kunnen bijvoorbeeld niet huwen).
  • Beide partners moeten 18 jaar of ouder zijn. Als de ouders en rechtbank akkoord gaan, is het mogelijk om te huwen vanaf 16 jaar.

Als u geen Belgische nationaliteit heeft, is meestal de wet van uw thuisland van toepassing. Bijvoorbeeld: een Afghaanse vrouw van 16 kan zonder toestemming van de rechtbank huwen in België.
Een huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht (tussen 2 mannen of 2 vrouwen) vormt een uitzondering op deze regel.

Huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht

Een huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht is sinds 2003 wettelijk in België.

Als een van de partners de nationaliteit heeft van een land waar een huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht erkend wordt, is de wet van dat land van toepassing. De wet van het land van de andere partner geldt in dat geval niet. Bijvoorbeeld: een man uit Oeganda, waar een huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht strafbaar is, kan huwen met een Belgische man of met een man uit een ander land waar een huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht erkend wordt. De Oegandese wet is in dat geval niet van toepassing.

Als u meer informatie wilt over een huwelijk tussen mensen van hetzelfde geslacht, kunt u contact opnemen met de Juridische Helpdesk van het Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering of met een advocaat. U kunt bellen naar de Holebifoon om een advocaat te vinden die hiermee ervaring heeft.

2 mannen huwen in een stadhuis

Vrije keuze

In België is iedereen vrij om te beslissen met wie hij/zij wil huwen. Een gedwongen huwelijk is strafbaar.

Iemand die iemand anders dwingt om tegen zijn/haar wil te trouwen, kan een gevangenisstraf van maximaal 2 jaar krijgen. Zelfs als het huwelijk niet daadwerkelijk doorgaat, kan de dwang toch worden bestraft. De dwang kan fysiek of psychologisch zijn (bedreigingen of emotionele druk).

Een huwelijk is gearrangeerd wanneer de ouders of andere familieleden een partner voor hun kind kiezen. Wanneer beide toekomstige echtgenoten volledig instemmen met het huwelijk, en minimaal 18 jaar zijn, is dit een wettelijk huwelijk.

Wettelijk samenwonen

Wettelijk samenwonen is nog een juridische vorm voor partners om samen te zijn. Een verklaring van wettelijk samenwonen biedt een bepaalde juridische bescherming, maar is niet hetzelfde als een huwelijk. De verklaring regelt de rechten en plichten van de partners op het vlak van een eventuele gedeelde gezinswoning en andere bezittingen. Het is eenvoudiger om een verklaring van wettelijk samenwonen te beëindigen dan een huwelijk. Ook partners van hetzelfde geslacht kunnen wettelijk samenwonen.

Neem voor meer informatie over wettelijk samenwonen contact op met de Juridische Helpdesk van het Kruispunt Migratie-Integratie of met een advocaat.

More information or help needed?

Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering - Legal Service for Immigration Law
Information on law regarding residence status, family reunification, asylum and access to health care. Find a team in your neighbourhood:
02 205 00 55 (legal helpdesk)
Free telephone number for an answer to all questions regarding homosexuality and transgender
0800 99 533
CAW - Centrum Algemeen Welzijn
Centre for general well-being - Help with all kinds of issues: a difficult relationship, medical, financial, administrative, legal or material problems, family problems,... CAWs also provide assistance to victims of violence and abuse. Find a CAW in your neighbourhood:
More health professionals

Dictionary and translations