The breasts are the 2 swellings at the front of a woman’s body.
Each breast consists of:
Fat, mammary glands and ducts inside the breast:
- mammary glands: small organs that produce breast-milk;
- ducts: small tubes that carry milk toward the nipple;
The nipple and the areola on the outside of the breast:
- nipple: small knob in the middle of the breast;
- areola: dark circle around the nipple.
Functions of the breasts
The breasts have 2 functions:
Types of breasts
Every woman’s breasts are different. Breasts can be small or big, round or slightly oval. What they look like is not important for the way they function.
Breasts during pregnancy
During pregnancy the breasts prepare for producing breast-milk. They:
- grow bigger;
- become more sensitive and sometimes painful;
- may already leak a little breast-milk.